NWDS welcomes students
NWDS welcomes the opportunity for students from school, TAFE and university-and many other registered training organisations - to complete their student placements and build excellent disability awareness and experience whilst with us.
We challenge our students to complete a project while on placement, that will link the student with a group of people with a range of disabilities and life skills.
We have opportunities for placement 24/7 and cover the Hills and Hawkesbury local government areas. Often there are small trips and camps available to also complete an intensive period of engagement.
Experience working with people who present with intellectual disabilities, physical disabilities, sensory disabilities and also Acquired Brain Injury are possible, and we cover the age ranges from babies to adults with disability who are elderly.
Students state they gain great satisfaction from the placement and cement their decision on their chosen career. Words used to describe their placements are "dynamic,
practical, welcoming and great fun."
NWDS makes every effort to provide a quality placement
and has high expectations of the students and often students find a rewarding career with NWDS after completion of their study or placement.
- Enthusiasm for learning, participating in programs, interactions with our participants and project work allocated
- Promptness in attendance, preparation of Learning Contracts and advising of any issues
- Full attention to completing their requirements and working within NWDS Policies and Procedures
- Professional behaviour at all times in respect of dealings with participants, staff, volunteers and carers
- Attendance at orientation and supervision sessions
- Willingness to share innovative ideas and suggestions for improvement of our activities and services
- Attendance times - can be negotiated but the general requirement is 9am - 5pm to allow for program time and project work
What you can expect from NWDS?
- An experienced supervisor
- Opportunities to meet all your learning outcomes
- Wide variety of experiences
- Assistance in developing skills to run programs
- Exposure to WH&S and Risk Assessment requirements
What have past students said of their time at NWDS?
Lisa "It was a great learning experience as a student at North West
Disability Services Inc. I received lots of support from
staff/supervisors and had the opportunity of participating in both Post School programs and respite care. Overall a great opportunity to develop the
skills and knowledge required to successfully complete my student
placement and to support people with a disability."
Feeling Like a Rewarding Challenge?
Yes, I want to take up the challenge of a NWDS Student placement!
Great ring us on 96864155 and talk to HR or complete our application form.
Students need to make arrangements with their own educational institute
to discuss attending NWDS.
The Placement Coordinator at the educational institution will contact HR at NWDS to make arrangements to send their students to placement at NWDS. There is a signed agreement of days and times of attendance. Students are invited to attend the orientation program (which will cover NWDS Policies and Procedure), and subsequently are placed into a work pattern with a project. The Student Orientation Sheet needs to be completed during the orientation program. All Student must have a curent Criminal Record Check and if going to work with children a Working with Children Check.