Gemhill Cottage at Castle Hill is a facility of North West Disability Services Inc, partly funded by Ageing, Disability and Home Care (ADHC) to provide live in respite services and accommodation for people with an acquired brain injury. Gemhill Cottage was the first respite facility for a person with a brain injury in New South Wales and opened in 1993.
The spacious 5 bedroom facility is staffed 24 hours / 7 days per week by fully trained professional staff to provide individuals with the highest standard of care.
Gemhill Cottage provides support to people for up to 8 weeks a year on a pre-booked basis. This then provides respite to the carers of these individuals.
Gemhill Cottage is designed for individuals who:
- Live in N.S.W. aged between 18 – 65
- Are living at home with an unpaid carer;
- Live independently in the community with some family support;
- Have an acquired brain injury.
Gemhill Cottage has very reasonable pricing. A stay costs $25.00 per day if you hold a Disability Pension card or alternatively $ 80.00 per day if you do not hold a pension card. Activity costs and spending money for activities or purchases (approximately $10.00 per day) is also required.
There is also a drop in service which starts from $5 an hour.
Crisis accommodation can also be provided to regular respite service users if needed.
Gemhill Cottage supplies:
- Bed linen, quilt, pillow, towels.
- Meals, let us know if you have any special dietary requirements e.g. puree, low fat, low cholesterol. Three meals and three snacks are provided. If you require a specific food supplement you will need to provide it.
- TV, video, stereo, Foxtel, Some games: Card games, Yahtzee, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, Pictionary, Dominoes, Chess (please bring any other games you would like to play with other guests).
- Your own private room which you can lock if you wish.
- We have a bus at the cottage, which is equipped with a hoist for outings.
No alcohol or prohibited substances are allowed on the premises under any circumstances. Smoking is permitted outside the house.
Visitors are welcome but you may have to arrange this prior to the visit as we may be out on an activity. No overnight visitors are permitted.
Location: 28 Carrington Rd, Castle Hill. NSW. 2154.
Postal Address: PO Box 947, Baulkham Hills NSW 1755
Phone number: 02 9634 7531 or Fax number: 02 9899 8954